March 27, 2009

FREEDOM

We had an impromptu worship session this morning and sang the song Freedom Reigns in This Place. FREEDOM...What does that word really mean to you? No really, stop and ponder what does freedom look like in your life?

If freedom were a color, to me it would be Green. The sound of cows mooing reminds me of freedom and brings a smile to my face every time I hear one. Tall tree houses and the sound of trains are freedom from adulthood. Mowing lawns and digging gardens are freedom from a desk. Waterslides and stickball games are freedom from solitude. Cutting off all of your hair and not thinking twice about it is freedom from image. The Milky Way seems to be freedom from the world if only for a second, until reality gently glides us back to earth. The ocean is freedom from thinking we are big and important. Long hikes through the forest are freedom from thinking we are in control. Hugs from friends are freedom from loneliness. Good teachings are freedom from ignorance.

So what is freedom? Can it be had or found simply in the things we see and do or is it bigger? Is freedom something we can obtain on our own? Maybe to an extent we can find freedom. Have you found it yet? I think the only way to find true whole freedom is in letting go of everything, realizing we really can do nothing on our own. True Freedom comes when you can say here is my life Lord, I am finished trying to live on my own and trust that YOU are in control. When I let God take over what do I possibly have to worry about? He is in control that is the ultimate FREEDOM.

2 comments:

  1. And I love it Christine. New Zealand and Oakridge have given me the love of freedom and grass and green and all things lovely.

    You bring a smile to my face, and Im excited to see how are you growing.

    ReplyDelete